[tlug] Japanese TV + Radio Tuner Card

Hi all,

Long time reader, first time poster. I'm currently in Las Vegas, NV -
far from Japan,  but hoping it's not a prerequisite for this list.

I'm looking for recommendations on a TV and radio tuner card supported
under linux that would work in Japan. I don't pretend to know much
about radio frequencies - but I do know that a stereo I bought many
years ago in Japan will not properly tune FM stations in the USA, so
I'll assume that different frequencies are used and 89.5 FM in JPN !=
89.5 FM in USA. Let me know if I'm way off there. It would be nice if
there was a card of some sort that could work in either place or flip
between or something - as it would make testing it here easier for me.

I'm looking into the possibility of creating some sort of remote
time-shifting device. Ideally, I could just set it up in Nagoya with a
YahooBB connection and using some magical perl code and cron, I could
program it to record certain programs to disk for me that I could then
download for viewing here stateside. Something like an overseas TiVo.
Assuming I could get a JP compatible tuner card that I can do captures
from under linux, it would be a piece of cake.

I was inspired by a link to http://www.spaceshift.net/ posted on
fj.life.in-japan a while ago, though the system there doesn't seem
flexible enough for my tastes. I've also been thinking about a remote
radio time-shifter seriously for a while.

So there it is - does anyone know of a TV + radio tuner card exist
that can in descending order of importance a) work under linux, b)
tune Japanese TV or Radio , and c) possibly also work in the USA (for
testing, mostly)?

Many thanks in advance for any guidance you can provide!

--
Pawel Szymczykowski