Re: [tlug] newbie notebook question

    Scott> Ironically enough, many of the newcomer friendly distros
    Scott> are based on Debian, which is considered a hard
    Scott> distribution for the beginner.

All part of the plan, Scotty!  Debian's main technical goal is to
provide a flexible platform that allows the expert to get close to the
metal, and at the same time allows OEMs to provide newbie-friendly
padding.  Sort of like the relationship between the X Window System
and GNOME.

    Scott> The advocate side of me thinks this is good, because it
    Scott> makes it easier for people to leave MS.  The crotchety side
    Scott> of me thinks it's bad, because it means that we get more
    Scott> people who aren't willing to learn.

That's what killfiles are for.  ;-)  Or you can just point them at
Tools/Attitude and watch them slink away.  :-)