Re: [tlug] newbie notebook question

> Are you able to give me some advice please?

This may start a flame war (bring it on), but i want to be the first to
advise you to stay well away from rpm based distros, they are a
nightmare imho, .... you can always tell an rpm based distro because you
have to download at least 3 disks to install one, and they are
impossible to upgrade.

Most japanese distros are rpm based except for maybe the japanese
version of knoppix, but knoppix has too much crap on it anyway.

After about 2 years of hasseling a friend of mine, he finally decided to
try linux a couple of weeks ago... i suggested he try ubuntu even though
i have absolutely no experience with this distro, i have never even
installed it. But i heard good things about it. My friend installed it
and  he absolutely loves it.

Ubuntu is debian based, it has great forums, a wiki, a cool faq and a
channel on freenode #ubuntu
http://www.ubuntulinux.org/support/documentation/faq/

It has a livecd you can mess with too apparently.

I use gentoo most of the time and debian sometimes, they are both
brilliant, but not so easy to install and configure your first time
round.

Patrick