Re: [tlug] newbie notebook question

On Tue, 2004-12-28 at 00:51 -0500, Scott Robbins wrote:
> Ironically enough, many of the newcomer friendly distros are based on
> Debian, which is considered a hard distribution for the beginner.
> Their
> apt-get system of package management makes things very easy.

Basically, I'm just too lazy to learn how to use the tools in
another distro. I've gotten used to what I have, it works and
I don't have to tinker. If I wanted to tinker I'd install that
other OS :-)

> There are now a great many distributions which have made package
> management a breeze.  (Most seem based on Debian)
>
> The advocate side of me thinks this is good, because it makes it
> easier
> for people to leave MS.  The crotchety side of me thinks it's bad,
> because it means that we get more people who aren't willing to learn.

> However, when I first wanted to try Linux,in the late nineties, I
> chose
> a newbie friendly distro (Caldera, before they became evil).  As time
> passes, I think one either becomes more interested in getting beneath
> the GUI (which sounds like a horror movie) or they don't.

I know what most of the zillion entries in OS/2's config.sys
are for so I'm used to getting under the hood. But these days
I just want to slip a DVD in the drive, fire up Xine and crack
a few cold brews!

Wayne