Re: [tlug] mozilla

On Wed, Jul 28, 2004 at 10:17:11AM +0200, Godwin Stewart wrote:
> On Wed, 28 Jul 2004 00:03:52 -0400, Scott Robbins <scottro@example.com> wrote:
>
> > I now fairly confidently install the users' printers on a BSD box
> > running CUPS,
>
> What is the advantage of CUPS over LPRng anyway?

1. I am familiar with it.

2. I can install it, do a couple of tweaks to the config file, then add
printers with a 1 line command.

3. For folks like Stephen who love GUI interfaces (heh, I probably just
got plonked by him again) it has one.  Actually, aside from my natural
3l337 (is that how you write elite to be k3wl?  I've forgotten, I'm far
too old for that stuff) preference for CLI, the trouble with the web
interface is that it takes too long--it's something like 6 or 7 screens
to add a printer.

4. The one time I tried LPRng it didn't work out of the box--as you
know, I hate setting up printers, so didn't feel
like reading when CUPS was already doing what I wanted

5. I am familiar with it. (Of course, I'm also familiar with vi, just
accidentally hit the period key and repeated that sentence 5 times.)  :)

So, not having used LPRng I can't give you the advantages and
disadvantages--just that I started with CUPS, and "better the devil you
know...."

For those with interest, I have a cups page at

http://home.nyc.rr.com/computertaijutsu/cups.html

(The quotes at the top, by the way are all from Tluggers--Jonathan and
Matt).

--

Scott

PGP keyID EB3467D6

Buffy: Mom, dead people are talking to you. Do the math!