Re: [tlug] mozilla

On Wed, Jul 28, 2004 at 12:17:17PM +0900, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:

>     Scott> One would think, however, that by now, they would have
>     Scott> begun supporting printing with cups, but not being a
>     Scott> developer, it's easy for me to say.
>
> Printing is hard.  Remember, unlike the X server or even the Windows
> OS, printers don't talk back.  Get it right the first time, or waste a
> ream of paper listing a multi-megabyte postscript file.  Even printer
> spoolers are pretty bad about talking back when the job smells more
> like a fish than a file.

Well, today, I simply heated up almost a ream of paper--printed from
opera to CUPS in ArchLinux and it all came out blank.   (I should have
sent it to a printer that had the ability to cancel a job, but there are
none on my floor.)

However, as I stated in a followup post, in FreeBSD at least, if one
uses the native FreeBSD opera, it prints to CUPS without problem.
However, the opera knowledge base still contains the statement that it
doesn't work with CUPS--whether the improvement has come about because
of CUPS or opera's development, I have no idea.

Also, do note that I wimpily  acknowledged (by saying I'm not a
developer so it's easy for me to say) that I am discussing something
about which I have no knowledge.  :)

Printing in *nix has come an awfully long way in a relatively short
time.  I now fairly confidently install the users' printers on a BSD box
running CUPS, which I wouldn't have done even a year ago, as I wouldn't
want to be bothered when it didn't work properly.

--

Scott

PGP keyID EB3467D6

Buffy: Could I be seeing Billy's asteroid body?
Giles: Astral body, and I don't know.