Re: [tlug] aterm Japanese patch

On Fri, Jul 09, 2004 at 01:38:11PM +0900, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:

>     Scott> The link for the Japanese patch for aterm seems to have
>     Scott> gone missing in action.
>
> May it rest in peace.  JP patches should all just f-f-f-fade away.
> (But see below.)
>
> It looks like some such capability has been folded into the aterm
> mainline, guessing from Debian's avail db (note the Source header):
>
> Package: aterm-ml

You seem to be correct.  :)
I was about to go to sleep when I saw your post but then you got me
curious.  So, I fired up a relatively new Slackware install, and
downloaded plain old aterm.

README.configure didn't mention --enable-xim but did mention
--enable-kanji.  I did that, and got an aterm that would, when I hit
shift+space to invoke kinput2, open a window beneath the aterm.  I could
input kanji, however, upon hitting return, nothing happened--that is,
the white window underneath simply went blank and nothing appeared in
the aterm itself.

I then reinstalled it, this time adding --enable-xim (and leaving in
--enable-kanji).  This time, the white window would show the kanji after
I hit enter, and the Japanese would then appear in the aterm itself.

This is the same thing that Deb's aterm-ml does--that is, open a window
below the terminal.  I prefer to have the input appear directly in the
terminal itself (which is what happens with Deb's rxvt-ml).  Actually,
the other day, put in aterm-ml on Deb, didn't like that window opening
below the terminal so deinstalled it and just put in aterm from source
with the patch (it had already disappeared, took it from my
FreeBSD distfiles).

This isn't necessarily a Bad Thing(TM) however, I prefer the input to be
directly in the terminal.  (Not sure if you've actually used Deb's aterm
or rxvt--we non-emacs users just assume you guys use it for everything).

>     Scott> For the moment, I'm going to put it on my site, but I'd
>     Scott> appreciate if anyone knows anything about it.
>
> That's worth doing for backward compatibility, but really people
> should move to unicode terminals.  Note that luit(1x) helps with this.

Deb has a ulxterm (I've seen it on a few other distros too, though can't
recall them at the moment) which will also do Japanese.

After reading your post, I just tried to play with luit a bit, but
didn't get very far.  (At this point, I just glanced at the man page,
and am not yet asking for help--it's 1:30 here and I have to be up in 4
hours.)

--

Scott

PGP keyID EB3467D6

Giles: It's a trick. They get inside my head, make me see
things I want.
Xander: Then why would they make you see me?
Giles: You're right. Let's go.