Re: [tlug] aterm Japanese patch

On Fri, 9 Jul 2004, Scott wrote:

> On Fri, Jul 09, 2004 at 01:38:11PM +0900, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:
> README.configure didn't mention --enable-xim but did mention
> --enable-kanji.  I did that, and got an aterm that would, when I hit
> shift+space to invoke kinput2, open a window beneath the aterm.  I could
> input kanji, however, upon hitting return, nothing happened--that is,
> the white window underneath simply went blank and nothing appeared in
> the aterm itself.
>
> I then reinstalled it, this time adding --enable-xim (and leaving in
> --enable-kanji).  This time, the white window would show the kanji after
> I hit enter, and the Japanese would then appear in the aterm itself.

Help -- I can't seem to get this working.  I've been trying
to get aterm working with Kanji input all evening and feel
as close now as I did 5 hours ago.

I know I have the basic environment working right because
kterms and xterm's started from this window work fine.  For
that matter, so does open office.

When I hit shift-space the kinput2 window comes up fine and
when I type into it, hiragana appears as expected but when I
hit return, I get garbage (I've forgotten the term you use
for it) in the terminal window.

I'm on a SuSE 9.0 system with aterm 0.4.2.

The docs and the man page mention a ./configure file and
I've added just --enable-xim and --enable-kanji and
--enable-xim=yes and --enable-kanji=yes all with the same
result.  This is an rpm based system and I don't know how to
configure from the install.

I looked through the docs in /usr/share/doc/packages/aterm
and googled and am out of ideas.  Do you guys yave any
suggestions?

Thanks
Steve S.