Re: [tlug] Japanese under Linux

dstibbe wrote:

> I've almost worked it out with the following settings :
> LANG=en_US.UTF-8
> LANGUAGE=en_US.UTF-8
> LC_ALL=ja_JP.eucJP
> XMODIFIERS=@example.com=kinput2
>
> and then :
> kinput2 -canna&
>
> Now with this I am capable of inputting Japanese text . But I do not
> WANT the locales at japanese (because then the menu of the program
> turns in Japanese) ! X-(  If I set the locale to english , I can't
> insert japanese .
>
> How can I keep my locales to english but yet still input japanese ?

At least with SuSE 9.1, what I've found works well is to set it up in
Japanese when the OS is installed the first time, and then just change
the language settings for users who want English menus.  Um... I'm not
sure if those users are able to input Japanese while the language
settings are set to English or not - but in any case it's easy to switch
back and forth.

Lyle