Re: [tlug] Japanese under Linux

Scott Robbins wrote:

>On Thu, Jul 01, 2004 at 02:51:28AM -0800, dstibbe wrote:
>

>>Hi ,
>>
>>I've been trying to get japanese input working under linux . So far I
>>managed to get it working under kterm with 'kinput2 -canna' , but am not
>>capable of getting it to work under other programs running on my KDE
>>desktop. I read the articles on the website, but so far I haven't gotten
>>it working ?  Any idea what I could be doing wrong ?
>>

>What other programs do you wish to use with it.
>In many cases you might have to start these programs with the langx
>script or a variation listed on the web site.
>
>As you might be a newcomer, let me give a few guidelines for
>information.
>
>Firstly, don't top post, answer this (or other attempts to help) in
>line, that is, answer the point you are discussing under the point in
>the original email.  :)
>
>Secondly, what did you try to do? For instance, did you simply start
>mozilla and try to input Japanese?
>
>Next, which articles did you read?  There are a few listed and we all
>have our own quirks.  (I'm believe mine is one of the listed ones)
>
>Also, which distribution of Linux are you using?  As you'll note from my
>article at least, different distributions have different ways of of
>referring to ja_JP.
>
>For instance, did you read my article, use that langx script and try to
>start something on Slackware 9.0 and have no luck?  In that case, it's
>easy to say, ah, with Slackware up to 9.0 you have to add LC_ALL=ja_JP
>to the langx script.
>
>I believe that all of the authors listed are still on this list, so you
>can probably get a bit more help if you're a little more specific.  This
>is not criticism, (well, I guess it is, but it's constructive criticism)
>however, it is necessary for us to have a bit more information before
>helping you.
>
>Thanks

Thanks ^_^

I've almost worked it out with the following settings :
LANG=en_US.UTF-8
LANGUAGE=en_US.UTF-8
LC_ALL=ja_JP.eucJP
XMODIFIERS=@example.com=kinput2

and then :
kinput2 -canna&

Now with this I am capable of inputting Japanese text . But I do not
WANT the locales at japanese (because then the menu of the program turns
in Japanese) ! X-(  If I set the locale to english , I can't insert
japanese .

How can I keep my locales to english but yet still input japanese ?

Greetings,
David