Re: [tlug] routing question

On Sun, 27 Jun 2004 01:17:38 +0900
"Stephen J. Turnbull" <stephen@example.com> wrote:

>     Botond> siliconium:~# route -n
>     Botond> Kernel IP routing table
>     Botond> Destination     Gateway         Genmask         Flags  Iface
>     Botond> 61.120.182.137  0.0.0.0         255.255.255.255 UH     ppp0
>
> WTF?  There's no way to get here from there.  Unless you have a
> 61.x.x.x IP address for your siliconium?
Yes I have a ppp0 interafce with a public ip. This is my mailserver if you
haven't noticed.

>     Botond> 0.0.0.0         61.120.182.137  0.0.0.0         UG     ppp0
>
> And this is the black hole which is sucking down all your ICMP ECHOs
> to non-localnet hosts unless I miss my guess.
This interface is set up by pppd/pppoe automatically when I connect to my
provider.
Sorry I didn't want to post it because it's just another cause of
confusion.

> I'm sorry, I'm on a slow line and I may be missing something by not
> switching back to the rest of the thread, but AFAICT unless you do
> something about those Genmasks (they need to be /16 for those device
> routes to work)
eth0 is all /16.

> AFAICT the Z's networking just likes to hang out in high society.  For
> example, mine (an SLC700) snubs the cheap Corega wireless LAN I have at
> home, while it gets along famously with the IBM that cost 5 times as
> much and comes with three fewer channels (well, I did get two PCMCIA
> cards) with it.

I did get a wireless card for it case I hang out in society. But I don't
have any other wireless stuff at home so can't use it here.