Re: [tlug] routing question

    Botond> On Sun, 27 Jun 2004 01:17:38 +0900
    Botond> "Stephen J. Turnbull" <stephen@example.com> wrote:

>     Botond> siliconium:~# route -n
>     Botond> Kernel IP routing table
>     Botond> Destination     Gateway         Genmask         Flags  Iface
>     Botond> 61.120.182.137  0.0.0.0         255.255.255.255 UH     ppp0

    >> WTF?  There's no way to get here from there.  Unless you have a
    >> 61.x.x.x IP address for your siliconium?

    Botond> Yes I have a ppp0 interafce with a public ip. This is my
    Botond> mailserver if you haven't noticed.

Uh, the way you present things, it's impossible to keep track of what
is where.

    >> And this is the black hole which is sucking down all your ICMP
    >> ECHOs to non-localnet hosts unless I miss my guess.

    Botond> This interface is set up by pppd/pppoe automatically when
    Botond> I connect to my provider.  Sorry I didn't want to post it
    Botond> because it's just another cause of confusion.

Um, you are already confused, no?  That's why you posted.  Why make it
impossible for us to see what's going on by not explaining completely?

The APIs here are very nonobvious; they were constructed back in the
dark ages when something named ChaosNet was a serious contender for
industry leadership, the IETF thought they had to compete on obscurity
or something.  It is very easy to get them wrong; that's why a CCNA
has value.

    >> I'm sorry, I'm on a slow line and I may be missing something by
    >> not switching back to the rest of the thread, but AFAICT unless
    >> you do something about those Genmasks (they need to be /16 for
    >> those device routes to work)

    Botond> eth0 is all /16.

Not according to the route -n output; they're all standard Class C
/24, OK?  The dotted quad 255.255.255.0 means that the 192.168.1.0
network cannot see the 192.168.2.0 network etc.