Re: [tlug] Open source and free are the same

    >> Both your Venn diagram and your statement of rms's beef are
    >> inaccurate IMO.  Even rms admits that open source software
    >> licenses are basically the same as free software licenses.

    Josh> Can you give me a specific reference?

Starting with http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/ you should find either
directly or via one of the links about free software a link which is
_not_ labelled "why open source sucks".  ;-)  It's actually something
like "why you shouldn't use the term 'open source' when referring to
free software".  Typical rms FUD; he knows better than anyone else
that there is no such thing as "free software", only "free software
licenses" and "free software distributions".  The aho always wants it
both ways.

    Josh> Right, so I was accurate on this point, at least. :)

Oh, don't put yourself down.  I only get this stuff right about half
the time unless I think really hard about it.  Damn that rms cult,
anyway; it's always hard to treat religion accurately.

    >> Just go by the Orange Book standards and pull the plug on the
    >> LAN card.  Love that C2 rating.  :-)

    Josh> That only applies to NT 3.0, right? </me commences shuffling
    Josh> through discs copied illegally during the naive 90s>

Might have been 3.1 or 3.5.  But it was only one version.  The whole
point was to get on the U.S. government purchasing list with as many
certs as possible.  After that it was too expensive and meaningless
for even Microsoft to pursue.

    Josh> Oh yeah, and our dashing good looks." ;)

Ouch.

    Josh> May I have your permission to reprint parts of this email,
    Josh> attributed to you (unless you wish me to obscure your name;
    Josh> your email address will certainly be obscured), on my
    Josh> website?

Sure.  Don't bother obscuring my name, and I really can't see how
obscuring my @example.com address will make any difference whatsoever, it's
published in so many places.  Just do whatever fits with the style of
the rest of your page.

Maybe I'll get back to work on my diatribe entitled "Free Software
Fanaticism Considered Harmful" (the URL will of course be
Tools/Attitude/fsf-harmful.html ;-)

    Josh> Yes, the two are pretty similar, but I think "value
    Josh> judgements" say more about the person making the judgement,
    Josh> and "ad hominem attacks" are targetted at the values or
    Josh> personality of the person *being* judged. A lot of overlap,
    Josh> obviously.

Sure, there's an important difference in focus there.  I know that
Rick has a rant on "ad hominem," and I thought he had one on "value
judgements."  If so, it's undoubtedly worth reading, that's all I
meant.