Re: [tlug] emacs build for 21.3 does not work with X (for me!)

    David> On my stock RH8,

[Aside: Surely you can get RPMs of Emacs 21.3?  If not, it's time to
abandon Red Hat.]

    David> I downloaded the tarball into /usr/share/emacs/ unpacked
    David> and ran the standard ./config, make, make install.

Make sure you have no other emacs junk lying around to get in the way.

Do "ldd .../emacs" and make sure the X libraries are linked.

    David> I start it from an X (Gnome) launcher, nothing happens.

Make sure the DISPLAY environment variable is set in the launcher.
GTK historically believed that there is only one display in the world
(but it moves around), so it (and GNOME) probably assume that if you
don't say otherwise you want to connect to :0.0.  X does not.

If you don't know how to do that, try starting from the command line
(eg in an xterm) again making sure that DISPLAY is set.  At the very
least you should get useful error messages.

Why people use GNOME, which makes the rather insulting assumptions
that it is smarter than you and you really don't want to know why
things are broken (not that it believes you're capable of
understanding), I don't know.