[tlug] Re: test

Jonathan Byrne wrote:

> what problems were you experiencing?  Not that I care about 3D
> much at all, I'm not a gamer.  In fact, my favorite cards are the
> Matrox Gxxx series, because they are second to none for clear and
> crisp 2D.  The whitebox Radeon 9200 I'm using right now is pretty
> close, though.  I like it better than any nvidia card I've ever had.
> This is my first Radeon, but it won't be my last.  Matrox cards are
> expensive and not widely stocked, at least not in the US.  I used to
> seem them in all the major shops in Tokyo.

I recently bought a used Radeon 8500 (should be faster than the 9200 in
theory) and some more advanced 3d applications (i.e. ut2004 demo) were
mostly displaying garbage and locked up soon even with xfree 4.3 from
experimental.  I found that there were some recent Radeon fixes in the
dri trunk and then tried the dri trunk package which works better.
The ATI binary driver is still faster though (about 2 times as fast for
3D) but is buggy and I don't want and need the closed source driver.

Another thing that also bugs me about the new Radeon is the Video Overlay
quality.  One reason I bought the ATI was that my old Rage 128 Pro had
an excellent backend scaler, which would cleanly upscale YV12.
The Radeon 8500 is much worse in that regard (not better then NVidia)
and I have to use "-vf scale,format=yuy2" with mplayer if I want to
avoid staircasing artifacts in red areas.  That _may_ be a driver
problem though.

--
Tobias						PGP: http://9ac7e0bc.2ya.com
This mail is made of 100% recycled bits.