[tlug] Suse blues

Hello

I am a new user of linux (Suse professional 9.0). I bought this version
because of the linux versions, several websites said it was one of a few
that did English and japanese and that the YAST feature made it easy to
install and download programs without having to learn to use terminal
programs. Having been frustrated with Windows, buying a new machine (with
a serial ATA drive that Windows 2000 didn't like), and being told that
Linux was much more stable, I took the plunge.

But I am stuck.  Having installed Linux in English and then trying to
activate Japanese, I have only managed to get Kana but no Kanji.

I decided to install again this time in Japanese(it seems one can just say
INSTALL and the old installationis overwritten).

ASKING ON VARIOUS LISTS
-----------------------

Most recent attempt is here--->they said to try a japanese forum since
they did not know.  They said i needed a japanese server, but even when I
install in japanese I do not get success.

big thread...
http://forums.suselinuxsupport.de/index.php?showtopic=512&hl=

People have said that you need to do this and that (make sure you have
this program, like canna and that), but I thought if I install in
Japanese, it would be automatic.

I really wanted it to work without having to "try this and try that".
I had hoped for the best of both worlds, like installing in Japanese but
getting English menus, like is possible with Windows 2000.  That way I
could enter the occasional Japanese but have the easier to understand
English menus.

The last time I installed, even in Japanese, I got only Kana input, and in
Office, CONTROL-O did not even allow me to enter Japanese mode....

WHAT I HOPE FOR
---------------
(1) Can I get Suse to work?  Should I buy a customized Japanese version,
assuming such a beast exists.  I am now using the one I bought from an
Australian company.   In addition to the above-mentioned problems,
Sometimes I get no mouse cursor in my analog screen but only in my digital
one.  (Yet if I activate 24 bit color or use my 3D accelerator--GEO FORCE
something or other, I do not have the option of using the digital
interface, only the analog).

(2) Should I install WITHOUT adding additional programs? I just click
things that look like I might want them and then get told if there is a
conflict and select RESOLVE conflict.  But so far, no Kanji entry and the
other glitches.

(3) Since I want a system that I don't have to become a Linux guru to
use--I just want to enjoy myself and get some work done---should I opt for
a DIFFERENT distribution?  I see that Knoppix is listed as easy and as
doing Japanese.  It says that it is SLOW to run from the CD, but it is
unclear if one can also install from the CD.   I like Suse's Yast because
i do not have to enter arcane commands.

(4) Can I just put a CD or DVD of any good installation and write over
it?  It seems that I can do that with Suse---that is what I   have been
doing at least.   (I have been tempted to go back to Windows 2000, but
have been told it is not easy to get rid of Linux and then go back to
another operating system...I never left a partition for Windows.....so
unless i throw out my entire hard drive, I think I am stuck with this--or
if it is not a problem---just buying another CD of another company's
Linux.

(5) If this is the wrong forum for these questions, please tell me. I
don't want to waste anyone's time. I enetered SUSe in the serach engine
and could not find any post.  I see some other japanese related forums,
and I do not want to spent most of my time thinking about or learning the
intricasies of Linux---just want it to work with less trouble than
Windows.

Thanks in advance

Paul Arenson
paul@example.com