Re: [tlug] Suse blues

>But I am stuck.  Having installed Linux in English and then trying to
>activate Japanese, I have only managed to get Kana but no Kanji.
>
>I decided to install again this time in Japanese(it seems one can just say
>INSTALL and the old installationis overwritten).

Also being a SuSe 9.0 user and also having a system that I installed in
English that I haven't had luck with Japanese yet - I dragged an old 6GB
hard drive out of the closet and plugged it into a test computer to try
installing SuSe again in Japanese mode.  Watching the installation
closely, I realize d that there are several components to Japanese.
Whereas the English language install only used the first two of the six
disks (no DVD in that computer), the Japanese install pulls stuff off of
all six disks!  After the install was finished, I opened up OpenOffice
Writer.... hit <Shift>+<Space> and there it was!  The hiragana "a" I'd
heard of!  "Click-click-click" Oh.... Japanese!  Banzai!  Banzai!!
Banzai!!!

Oops... I swore I'd not try humor again.  Well, I really did feel
excited about that.  It was another milestone for me in my years-long
glacial migration over to Linux - never before had I written anything in
Japanese with Linux.  I think you can get the packages you want this way
(assuming you have all the boxed set):

Control Center
   YaST 2 Modules
      Software
          Install and Remove Software

At this point you get a message saying that you need Super User
privileges - just click on the tab at the bottom (which says - if I
remember correctly "Supervisor Password" or something like that).  Then
the password box appears - put in the password and wait for a bit.  Then
you get a screen with a Search box.

Type in "Japanese", hit enter, and....

A whole slew of stuff comes up!  Just check the boxes and go throw the
process of feeding disks into the CD-ROM drive.

I'm trying this myself as I type it - I'll let you know if it's
successful - in any case, it looks promising!

Lyle