Re: [tlug] Suse blues

> My environment is set to German, so I had to use Unifont in order to
> use German "Umlaute". Therefore I wrote into ~/.profile
>
> export LANG=de_DE.UTF-8
> export LC_CTYPE=ja_JP.UTF-8
>
> There is a file calles ~/.xim-template  which I renamed into ~/.xim
> and modified the two lines at the end as follows:
>
> export XMODIFIERS="@example.com=kinput2"
> LANG=ja_JP.UTF-8 LC_ALL=ja_JP.UTF-8 kinput2 -xim -kinput -canna &
>
> On Tuesday 02 March 2004 12:15, paul arenson wrote:
>
>>But I am stuck.  Having installed Linux in English and then
>>trying to activate Japanese, I have only managed to get Kana but
>>no Kanji.

Oh, I do live that Unicode. I use en_US.UTF-8 for everything on my
system (save a lot of servers on IRC), and it's such a relief not having
to think about encodings.

A couple of things that could have gone wrong on your system though:

1) Try using several files, not only .profile - .bashrc, .bash_profile ,
.rc.local , etc.

2) Make sure your cannaserver is running and not giving off any error
messages... Perhaps it needs to be started in the ja_JP locale?

LC_ALL=ja_JP LANG=ja_JP cannaserver &

This is nlikely, though.

3) Make sure kinput2 is compiled with Canna support and start it with
the correct parameters:

kinput2 +xim +kinput -canna &

4) If you still don't get any kanji, try using a different input method.
For instance, you could try installing anthy (aka libanthy) and uim -
It's actually mostly for GTK2, but the Japanese input methods have a XIM
bridge that can be started like this:

LANG=ja_JP.eucJP LANGUAGE=ja_JP.eucJP LC_ALL=ja_JP.eucJP uim-xim &

Then you can start your apps with:

GTK_IM_MODULE="uim-anthy" XMODIFIERS=@example.com=uim-anthy
LANGUAGE=some_LANGUAGE.UTF-8 LANG=some_LANGUAGE.UTF-8 LC_ALL=ja_JP.UTF-8
<my application here>

Another option is to install im-ja, which is a tried and tested input
method that also works through a XIM bridge. I haven't used im-ja for a
while, but I remember it as being very good. I don't know how to get it
working with anthy, but I'm sure it's easy enough... Or if you have a
working Cannaserver, you can use it with that.

Good luck, and let's hope for better times... :D

-David Oftedal