Re: [tlug] rpcbind --needed?

>> Bad ideas meet with ridicule on this and most highly technical lists.
>> The
>> sooner you learn to not take it personally, the sooner you can get
>> down to
>> the real business of learning The Unix Way.
>

> Unsolicited Jonathan Translation:
>
> -----
> If somebody tells you that something you did/are doing is the stupidest
> thing they've ever heard, it's best to take a look at what you did or
> are doing, because odds are pretty good that it's stupid.  Don't shoot
> the messenger for telling you the naked truth, and don't confuse being
> told that your idea is stupid with being told that you are stupid.
> Sometimes people who are not stupid do stupid things.  Sometimes even
> really smart people do stupid things.  No one is perfect, and the
> shortest
> way from doing a stupid thing to stopping it (and after all, who wants
> to do stupid things?) is being told that you're doing it, so you can take
> action to stop it.

Acclimatization - I have been in circles where it's not considered civil
to bluntly tell people that either they or their ideas are stupid.  Now
that I see the context and am getting a feel for the room, I see that I
overreacted to that vocabulary.  I was open to changing that right from
the start by the way - and was only miffed at the utilization of
"stupid".  I mean... "that's hard to read" - "I'd rather you didn't do
that..." would have been enough.  Incidentally, there *are* situations
where shortening the line is purposeful.  Sometimes two or three
characters makes the difference between getting something into limited
space (cell phone e-mail on tiny screens) or ending up with the end cut
off.  Well, anyway... thank you for biting me - the blood is still
dripping from the teeth marks in my arm, and I will never ever never
ever ever put a title in here with the words together again.