Re: [tlug] Japanese groupware?

On Sat, Feb 28, 2004 at 08:31:48PM -0800, Gerald Naughton wrote:

>I`ve used webmail.gol.com & it is pretty good but
>have you got it working for pop3s ?

Don't know, haven't worked there in about a year and half, but Brett
can tell you.  Also, I have the author of Ilohamail to be extremely
accomdating of feature requests.  One of the reasons we didn't choose
one of the competitors that looked strong from an E-J perspective
was that the author had a note right there on the web page that said
"This only works with IMAP, and if it ever works with POP3, that won't
be implemented by me" or words to that effect (and very near to that,
verbatim).

That flushed the product from consideration.  With Ilohamail, on the
other hand, I emailed the author with a list of features we needed that
it didn't have (POP3 among them) and a price, and his reponse was "Sure,
no problem, I'll get to work on it."   I already had authorization to
spend that much money, so we proceeded on a verbal (well, email)
contract and when he delivered the work we wired the money to his
bank account.  The joys of small companies and Free Software :-)

Of course, we paid him to develop the stuff we needed as part of the
standard GPLed release, which was a good deal for us, for him, and
for everyone else who uses Ilohamail.  And, the level of support we
received was stellar.  Even when we thought of stuff in the "Gee, it would
be neat if we had that, too" category, it just got thrown in along with
everything else we asked for.

So give it a shot.  If he has no immediate plans for POP3s, you'll at least
find that out.  If he does plan for it, I'm sure he can give you a timetable.

Tell him Jonathan from GOL referred you, it couldn't hurt :-)

Jonathan
--
gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-keys ACC46EF9
Key fingerprint = E52E 8153 8F37 74AF C04D  0714 364F 540E ACC4 6EF9