Re: [tlug] rpcbind --needed?

Quoth Shawn (Sat 2004-02-28 09:32:30AM +0900):

> Not so critical but I did a port scan on my computer and show
>
> 111/tcp   open  rpcbind
>
> which is I guess is related to portmap and/or nfslock

[...]

> I guess I could just shut it off and see where that gets me but... well
> trial and error leads to error.

Trial and error also leads to enlightenment. Shut it off and see if anything
breaks.

> Since I am not as clever as Dr. Turnbull and use guis from time to time I
> guess it is a needed service.

Trolling is not a needed service on this mailing list, so cut it out.

In my experience with this list, if I come away from a discussion feeling
stupid, it is because I did something stupid.

Bad ideas meet with ridicule on this and most highly technical lists. The
sooner you learn to not take it personally, the sooner you can get down to
the real business of learning The Unix Way.

Read this, it might help:

http://www.linuxmafia.com/~rick/faq/index.php?page=crybaby

I am not pointing fingers, I just think this might help you to understand.

--
Josh Glover

GPG keyID 0xDE8A3103 (C3E4 FA9E 1E07 BBDB 6D8B  07AB 2BF1 67A1 DE8A 3103)
gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-keys DE8A3103