Re: [tlug] HDD Reliability

"Lyle (Hiroshi) Saxon" wrote:

> A quick question about hard drives.  I remember reading in the Register
> ( www.theregister.co.uk ) - I think last year - a couple of articles
> about a fairly high failure rate with some hard drives.  I mention this
> now, because my 120GB IBM drive makes an odd noise from time to time (I
> don't know how to describe it - a sort of electronic sound that I've
> never heard any other drive I've used make).  Hopefully there's no bad

Hard drive trouble seems to be catching lately, just yesterday there was
this post on slashdot

about hard drives dying.  So if it stops working you might get some
ideas there...like freezing it.

Unfortunately quite recently for me a seagate IDE drive died with some
unbacked up data.
Does anyone know of data recovery options in Japan?  If I can get some
quotes I can make a price vrs. importance decision?

Anthony