Re: [tlug] de-lurking with a question

On Sun, 2004-02-15 at 02:37, Ben Konrath wrote:

> The earlier thread about Redhat's demise has prompted me to this post
> and because I get the feeling that the first career oriented job you get
> is important. Of course I could be wrong.
Actually I have learned the most in the worst places I have been.  (Not
saying it was fun but was educational) Red Hat could be a good place to
work (even if many of us are moving away from their product there are
still many large enterprises that use them) It really depends on what
they are going to have you doing.  Personally over the years I have
developed a taste for small to mid size companies (they let you do new
things without a six month approval process--usually)

> I guess that's hard to get good feeling for before you actually start
> working.
Sorry but basically work sucks (why else do they have to pay to get you
to show up) :) I have a friend who works for Goldman Sachs here in Japan
and when she left college she was one of two programmers I asked for
help when I needed it (she is that good).  Now she hates IT (she loved
it back then and was planning for a masters) The point is she loved IT
liked doing many things and is really good at it--went to work for a
large company "because it was good money and good for the resume" but
now hates her work..  Find a place that lets you do what you want to do
or face the music when you start to say "work sucks" ;)

--
David Blomberg
AIS, APS, ASE, CCNA, LCP, LCA, Linux+, LPI I, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, RHCE, Server+