Re: [tlug] de-lurking with a question

On Saturday 14 February 2004 09:37 am, Ben Konrath wrote:

> While in Japan, I had the unfortunate experience of working for Nova.

Heheheh, yeah, I worked there for most of a year in 1994-95.  I feel your
pain :-)  Before I worked there, a Nova teacher told me to apply there if you
can't find anybody else who will sponsor you for that first work visa, but if
you can find anyone else, go there.  Since most schools wanted you to already
have the work visa and be ready to start work really soon, that's how it
turned out.  So I suppose it figures that they have a website that is 100%
Flash with no non-Flash option <URL:http://www.teachinjapan.com> (but you
really don't want to look).

It's hard to add much to Steve's thorough and excellent response, except maybe
this: the better experience depends in part on what your career goals are
after graduation.  If you want to work for a Linux company, whether a
distributor such as Red Hat, a large consulting company such as IBM, or a
smaller one, Red Hat might be the best place for an internship.  As Steve
said, they have a lot of terrific Linux talent employed there.  If you go
with Red Hat, try to get to meet Adrian Havill if he's still there.  We
worked together at an ISP in Japan, and I later helped TurboLinux recruit
him, and then he later went on to work for Red Hat and was sent back
Stateside.

If you aren't highly focused on working for a Linux company or if you think
you might rather work for a hardware company, don't turn your nose up at
Epson, either.    They do offer some Linux software for their equipment,
although it is not as featureful as their Windows stuff.

Also, try to get to know some people who work at Epson and see what they have
to say about it.  If they are happy, the internship will probably be good.
If they are all unhappy, lean toward Red Hat :-)
Jonathan
--
99 pounds of natural born goodness
99 pounds of soul!