Re: [tlug] getting back on track [ was RE: introductions ]

On Wednesday 14 January 2004 04:19 pm, Alfred Rodriguez wrote:

> i realize that, and at the moment, im busy checking the new releases of
> the distributions out there - lindowsOS, turbolinux, mandrake. any
> suggestions?

Skip Lindows, too.  If you aren't dumb when you start using it, you will be
after a while :-)  Probably owned, too, since the default user is root, and
they don't talk much about security or why that's a bad idea.

I agree, skip TurboLinux, it's dying.  I'm surprised they've survived this
long.  Mandrake.  Pffft.  They put in stuff that's too bleeding edge for
Debian Unstable, then release it on their target audience (newbies).

Slackware is good, Debian is good.  Fedora will be good, I'm sure, but is in
beta still.  My list of recommended distros would be Slackware, Debian
(testing or unstable for workstation use, stable for server use), Gentoo,
Arch, SuSE, maybe Fedora.  FreeBSD and NetBSD are good, too.

> RedHat system. with a 2.4GHz Pentium, and 1.5GB of RAM; i guess it would
> be ok (i think)

You'll use all that memory for Oracle :-)  Now, if you want to use Oracle your
choices become more limited.  Miracle Linux is their reference distro, and
they are certified on Red Hat Enterprise (Server only?).  On AFAIK anything
else, it may work but is unsupported.

Jonathan