Re: [tlug] email programs

On Sun, May 25, 2003 at 06:18:44PM +0700, Jonathan Byrne wrote:
> On Sun, May 25, 2003 at 11:38:05AM +0200, David Oftedal wrote:
>
> >Sylpheed is THE e-mail reader for Linux.
>

> I've gotta throw in a plug for Kmail here, as of KDE 3.1.  With
> 3.1, the whole package is so good that I've been converted to a
> KDE user after some years of using Gnome and using several
> other WMs before that.

You keep praising this, sooner or later I may try it.  (traitorous mutt
deserter you.)

> You can use procmail to filter spam, make filters in Kmail, or use
> your MTA (if you have fetchmail dump the mail to your MTA) to do the
> filtering.  Exim does good regex-based filtering and can also use the
> RBLs.

Re fetchmail which Godwin also mentioned.  I've become a convert to
getmail.  A tiny bit harder to set up, but not difficult, and of course
I have a page on it at

http://home.nyc.rr.com/computertaijutsu/getmail.html

It seems to work a little more smoothly for me, and is theoretically at
least, more secure (the getmail developer does at times almost
gleefully announce new security problems with fetchmail.)

--

Scott Robbins

PGP keyID EB3467D6

Maggie Walsh: We use the latest in scientific technology
and state-of-the-art weaponry, and you, if I understand correctly,
poke them with a sharp stick.