Re: [tlug] Laptops in Tokyo.......which companies give you themost bang for your bucks!!

On Tue, 2003-05-06 at 16:59, Jonathan Q wrote:
> On Tuesday 06 May 2003 14:18, Phillip Hilton wrote:
>
> > not a clue who gives the best deals in Tokyo. I have had a look around most
> > of the big places in Aikihabra and did not think value that they were very
> > competetivly priced.
>
> He catches on fast, doesn't he? :-)  You probably found that at the various
> shops you visited, the same models were all priced within a few thousand
> yen of each other, maybe even a few hundred yen of each other.  But of
> course, there's no price-fixing among Japanese retail stores.  No, sir.  None
> at all.  Not a bit.

I think this depends on the product.  There are manufacturer priced
products and retailer priced products.  I noticed this when looking for
SD sticks.  They are retailer priced so it is actually worth looking
around I got exactly the same, stick for about 35,000.  The stock price
seemed to be 43,000 at everywhere else.

> > starting out here.....AND EVERYTHING IS FREAKIN' EXPENSIVE.
>
> Discover 100-yen shops, you'll like them.  Also, if you just look around,
> things aren't that expensive.  I paid about the same price for my apartment as
> I would have in the States.  Granted, it was a lot smaller, but the monthly
> cost was about the same.  Groceries are generally more costly, but bargain
> hunting is certainly possible.  Thanks to the good train system and the
> tradition of employer-paid train passes, I spent far less on transportation than
> I would have back home in California.

Food is expensive if you insist on eating exactly what you eat in your
home country. e.g. bread, cereals, steak, tomatoes, oranges.  If you eat
Japanese foods it tends to be cheaper.

--
Edward Middleton <edwardmiddleton@example.com>