[tlug] Laptops in Tokyo.......which companies give you the most bang for your bucks!!

Hello my name is Phil Hilton

Not so much a linux question.....well not at all a linux question really. I
am a little englishman straight off the boat. Also being new to the mailing
list so don't chew on my ass too much as I don't know the score in Tokyo
yet.

I am sending this email out as I need to obtain a decent laptop and I have
not a clue who gives the best deals in Tokyo. I have had a look around most
of the big places in Aikihabra and did not think value that they were very
competetivly priced.

Excuse my ignorance its the first time I have bothered with mobile computing
believing laptops to be overpriced underpowered toys. Also I am distrustfull
of anything I can't take the back off and stuff with PCI cards. However,
being as I will be living in a flat smaller than  the box my shoes came in
during my two year stay here a decent desktop is sadly just too impractical.

What I am looking for is a good box with an english bios, a dual language
keyboard and all the trimmings. I really want to try out wireless networks
as I am aware that many wifi nets for the internet cafes are unencrypted and
this would be a cheap way to check my email on weekends......I know using
someone elses access is a bit cheeky but this Tokyo  I am just starting out
here.....AND EVERYTHING IS FREAKIN' EXPENSIVE. I may soon be out on the
streets doing favours for sailors to make ends meet......and I don't mean
sowing on buttons or darning socks.

Back on the case Dell has been recommended to me as component quality is
good........but I am being seduced by Vaio. However, I hear that Sony uses
intergrated Sis chipsets which I have great contempt for....

I know this is a lot to ask but if anyone knows there way around the new
portable posing pieces please shout me back. Are the new compaqs any good I
know screen quality used to be poor on them have they sorted this yet?

Any help you could give me would be good.

Regards.

Pip the little english lad.