Re: [tlug] im-ja: A Japanese input module for GTK2

On Mon, 2003-02-17 at 23:03, Botond Botyanszki wrote:

> There is a simple (GtkIMContextSimple) and a more complicated API that
> GTK2 input modules have to implement. The latter
> (http://developer.gnome.org/doc/API/2.0/gtk/GtkIMContext.html) can be used to
> implement CJK input methods.

Excellent! This is the info I've been looking for. The GTK API docs are
good, but without knowing the names of the things you're looking for
info on, it can be hard to find info without just plowing through
everything, which I don't have time for right now.

> As I mentioned before, im-ja has it's biggest disadvantage: it's only for gtk2.

Well, the apps I use are almost all gtk2 these days or soon will be
(like GNU emacs), so it's not really a disadvantage for me.

> Plus something smarter than canna input mode needs to be implemented for im-ja.
> While developing the canna input mode, I realized how old (=stupid) the client
> side canna  api is. I frequently tested kinput2 with canna, how it'd compare to
> im-ja. It was pretty relieving to see that it died and was useless just as
> frequently as mine (Anyone using canna with kinput2 ?)

I do, and I hate it. But for some reason I thought kinput2 was the
culprit...is kinput2 + freewnn much better?

> So the freewnn binding is very high priority. I haven't looked much yet, if
> anyone knows good docs or sample source for [free]wnn, then please let me know.
> And also it would be cool if somebody would like to participate in the effort.

I'm interested. Anything simple I could start out on to get my feet
wet? I'm an experienced programmer but have never done any GTK stuff.

Ryan