Re: [tlug] Linux and USB Flash Memory Drives

On Wed, 19 Feb 2003 11:29:58 +0900, your kitten puked on the keyboard and
the short circuits produced this:

> While I have personally been advocating Linux support for my
> company's USB products, it will take an OEM customer requiring Linux
> support to put Linux offically on our radar screen, I conclude.

Agreed.

And it probably isn't going to happen as long as M$ is putting pressure on
OEM's to pollute new machines with their obfuscating system. Not to mention
that the latest court ruling "against" M$ has done nothing to admonish this
behaviour - in fact the issue wasn't even raised IMO.

Even then, OEM's are NOT going to be asking for Linux support of the
products they assemble until their customers, i.e. consumers, ask for it in
large enough numbers for it to be worth the OEM's efforts to look for Linux
supported devices. This will, of course, create a substantial price hike
because (with rare exceptions) manufacturers are inevitably going to say
"Linux support? Okay, but it'll cost you".

--
G. Stewart   --   gstewart@example.com -- gstewart@example.com
Registered Linux user #284683

GnuPG key  : BA3D01C6 (pgp.mit.edu)
Fingerprint: C3DF C686 6572 6E59 E3E4  0F40 2B9A 2218 BA3D 01C6
There's no place like ~