RE: [tlug] Linux and USB Flash Memory Drives

On Sun, 9 Feb 2003 16:29:32 +0100, Godwin Stewart <gstewart@example.com>
covers the triple-score square with:

> On Sun, 09 Feb 2003 23:40:39 +0900 (JST), Charles Muller <acmuller@example.com>
> dropped the scrabble game and created this on the floor:
>
> > Too bad none of the Japanese makers are interested in listing Linux 2.4 as
> > a supported platform.
>
> Supported by *whom*?
>
> If they state that Linux is a supported platform, they're going to have to
> do the support.

Exactly.  And support costs money, which comes from customers.

Does anyone know of an OEM customer that wants to buy a large number
of HexaMedia Drive 6-in-1 card readers?  Works well with linux :-)
USB 2.0 version just out.

While I have personally been advocating Linux support for my
company's USB products, it will take an OEM customer requiring Linux
support to put Linux offically on our radar screen, I conclude.

With a paying OEM customer, the company will allocate resources to
make Linux support happen: QA engineer, test systems, manual writer,
technical support, etc.

The other thing that would help is a Linux certification program,
I think.  Even though there is a USB Logo certification program,
no one is doing testing on Linux systems that I have heard.

Best regards,
jimb.