Re: [tlug] Sylpheed in Gentoo

On Wed, 22 Jan 2003 10:03:05 +0800
"Shimpei Yamashita" <shimpei@example.com> wrote:

> On 1/22/2003, "Scott Robbins" <scottro@example.com> wrote:
> >However, sending a Japanese email from mutt didn't work-- I could see
> the
> >English part of the email but not the Japanese part--changing encodings
> from
> >Auto select didn't work either--Euc showed a katakana yu and shiftjis
> showed
> >
> >something that was kanji, but nothing near what I wrote. (Mutt, IIRC uses
> EUC).
>
> mutt will happily send whatever garbage it's fed as US-ASCII or
> iso-8859-1
> unless you specifically tell it that you want Japanese messages sent out as
>
> Japanese. Make sure that the outgoing mail from mutt has something like
>     charset="iso-2022-jp"
> somewhere in the headers.

Now, here's the update.

I had forgotten to do an emerge rsync before sending those mails, and was working with
an older version. Just did emerge rsync, and am now using sylpheed version 0.8.9

The mutt message came in without problem as did one from Naoko's Mac-- So, while I'm on
another box here, so don't remember what version the OP was using, perhaps doing an
emerge rysnc and upgrading Sylpheed might help?  I should add I am calling it with my
usual langx script which reads

(Hrrm, how do you insert a file in Sylpheed?)  :)  (Opens up rxvt, cuts and pastes.)
Hey, that works.

#!/bin/bash
XMODIFIERS="@example.com=kinput2" LANGUAGE=en_US LC_CTYPE=ja_JP ${1+"$@"} &

That gives me menus in English (handy for my poor reading) and ability to input or
read in Japanese.

HTH a bit

> BTW, some people may tell you to use mutt-j instead, but vanilla mutt is
> sufficient for your testing purposes. (mutt-j addresses more subtle
> problems
> that occur when using Japanese on a regular basis.)

For my needs, it works--though some OE using friends can't read the Japanese--I'll look
into adding info into headers--although for OE, should it be Shift-JIS?  (Casual
question, asked with no research--consider it idle musing)  It enables me, however
to read anything sent on this list or from my wife's Mac.  (In Gentoo, I do include the
cjk USE flags that Josh mentioned--in FreeBSD, though I have found it necessary to
install the /usr/ports/japanese versions of w3m and rxvt, vanilla mutt works as mentioned
above.

Scott