Re: [tlug] Sylpheed in Gentoo

On 1/22/2003, "Scott Robbins" <scottro@example.com> wrote:
>However, sending a Japanese email from mutt didn't work-- I could see
the
>English part of the email but not the Japanese part--changing encodings
from
>Auto select didn't work either--Euc showed a katakana yu and shiftjis
showed

>something that was kanji, but nothing near what I wrote. (Mutt, IIRC uses
EUC).

mutt will happily send whatever garbage it's fed as US-ASCII or
iso-8859-1
unless you specifically tell it that you want Japanese messages sent out as

Japanese. Make sure that the outgoing mail from mutt has something like
    charset="iso-2022-jp"
somewhere in the headers.

BTW, some people may tell you to use mutt-j instead, but vanilla mutt is
sufficient for your testing purposes. (mutt-j addresses more subtle
problems
that occur when using Japanese on a regular basis.)

Shimpei.

--
Shimpei Yamashita
shimpei@example.com