Re: [tlug] How to get sylpheed to display Japanese?

> After losing the ability to view email in Japanese by upgrading
> evolution to 1.2, I decided to use Sylpheed for Japanese email. I
> emerged sylpheed 0.8.8, but was quite surprised to find that Japanese
> text is not rendered -- all I get is dollar signs and miscellaneous
> characters. (One weird thing is that the Subject: line displays
> correctly but the body doesn't.) It works fine on my RedHat 7.3 machine
> at home (but I installed the binary package there), but on my Gentoo
> system here at work, only _. Does anyone (Ryan? Scott?) know how to
> build sylpheed on a Gentoo box so it can display Japanese correctly? (I
> looked at the ebuild script, but there's nothing special there.)

i haven't tried this on a gentoo box but i use this wrapper script to load sylpheed:

#!/bin/sh

LC_ALL=ja_JP
LC_CTYPE=ja_JP
LANG=ja_JP.eucJP
LANGUAGE=en_us
XMODIFIERS="@example.com=kinput2"
kinput2=/usr/bin/X11/kinput2

export LC_ALL LC_CTYPE LANGUAGE LANG XMODIFIERS

ps -auxwwww | grep kinput2 > /dev/null
if [ "$0" != 0 ]; then
    $kinput2 -canna &
fi