Re: [tlug] Sylpheed in Gentoo

On 1/22/2003, "scott" <scottro@example.com> wrote:

>For my needs, it works--though some OE using friends can't read the
Japanese--I'll look
>into adding info into headers--although for OE, should it be Shift-JIS?
(Casual
>question, asked with no research--consider it idle musing)

No, it should be iso-2022-jp, which is the standard encoding for Japanese
email text. Neither EUC nor Shift-JIS should be used to encode email
text,
and you should certainly not have to alter encoding of your email based
on
the recipient's OS.

Yes, Windows is a Shift-JIS (and UTF-16) world, and Unix is EUC world,
but
any self-respecting MUA that claims to support i18n should be able to
translate _file_ charset (iso-2022-jp in this case) to _display_ charset
(EUC, SJIS or UTF-8). OE may be a bad MUA, but I doubt it's so bad
that it can't even parse standard-compliant Japanese email.

Shimpei.

--
Shimpei Yamashita
shimpei@example.com