Re: [tlug] Region Free? DVD player

On Mon, Jan 20, 2003 at 12:03:42AM +0700, Jonathan Byrne wrote:
> They may produce region-1 only DVDs, but how hard would it be for the same
> people who produce region-free players to produce players that are
> regional-selectable?  Just pop up the menu and choose which region you want
> it to be :-)
>
> Jonathan

Actually there are certain region free players that actually check which region is requested, and masquerade as said region automagically. I don't remember
which players those were, but the magic technology that won't play on region
0 drives is RCE (Region Code Enhancement). Now those who actually care can
google away.  This technology should not affect any of the software players
that go the DeCSS route though.

--Matt