Re: [tlug] Region Free? DVD player

On Sun, 19 Jan 2003 15:12:40 +0100
Godwin Stewart <gstewart@example.com> wrote:

> Ogle does a very good job of playing CSS'ed DVD's and it's a lot cheaper
> than that.

I haven't tried Ogle yet, but will give it a go.

I just came across the "MoviX" Linux distro, whose sole purpose is playing DVDs and other multimedia.
http://movix.sourceforge.net/
It's an (20MB) ISO that you download and burn to a CD, then boot from.  By default, it doesn't need/touch your HD or network, though it *can* if you want.  It goes right into X and opens a media player. Then you swap that disk for your movie disk and play.  No region issues from what I saw. (I tried both region 1 and 2, no problems.)

If you are making your own movies, you can make a movie CD or DVD with MoviX on it that you just boot from and it will play.

I think it's a pretty neat idea - rather than doing tech support for your family, you can just mail them a disk of your home movies and tell them to boot from it if they have trouble.

Cheers,
Jim

Jim O'Connell
Global Dining System Support