Re: [tlug] Asian spam - was: CPU cycles and packet filtering

From: "Thomas Kruemmer" <tkruemmer@example.com>
Subject: Re: [tlug] Asian spam - was: CPU cycles and packet filtering

> In one year of IP blocking I have amassed 1276 IP addresses of
> repeat spam origins.

Hmm. In one hour I put together a list of about 2 million IP addresses which
should be blocked. There's no real point in blocking individual IP addresses
because a spammer could be just about anywhere in the same subnet next time
they connect. For example, if 211.157.96.204 spams you, don't just block
that address, block the entire subnet belonging to that ISP, 211.157.96.0/19
in this case. Bang - out go 8192 machines which could potentially spam you.

G. Stewart.