Re: [tlug] CPU cycles and packet filtering

On Thu, Dec 26, 2002 at 11:56:45PM +0900, Botond Botyanszki wrote:

>http://www.fadden.com/techmisc/asian-spam.htm

He's a bit naive, thinking that spammers care if they know they are being
blocked or not.  Coming from the standpoint of several years of fighting
spam on a professional basis, I can assure you they don't care.

Along with blocking subnets and a whole slew of individual hosts (many
open proxies in Korea. I wonder if they are running 4.x versions of
TurboLinux, which shipped as an open proxy by default?  Most of the
seem to be Korean educational institutions, so it's plausible to think
that a bunch of them installed TL 4.x a while back and have been running
it ever since?

Another effective technique for dumping Korean and Chinese-language spam
is to filter on the language encoding.  At my former employer we made
langauge encoding filters available as additional optional spam filters,
and a sizable number of our customers activated them as soon as they were
announced, and were quite pleased that the results.

Jonathan
--
GPG key: DF12B4EF (5399 C834 3ABB C3AF 610C  5345 D5D6 E6EA DF12 B4EF)
gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-keys  DF12B4EF