[tlug] Asian spam - was: CPU cycles and packet filtering

On Thu, 26 Dec 2002 22:22:19 +0900, Jonathan Q <jq@example.com> wrote to
tlug@example.com:

> He's a bit naive, thinking that spammers care if they know they are being
> blocked or not.

I have to agree with Jonathan there.

If you look at the number of Chinese/Taiwanese/Korean ISP's which reject
mail from spamcop.net, it becomes perfectly clear that fighting spam is
definitely *NOT* one of their concerns.

To use the terms on that web page, trying to fight Asian spam is like
"trying to teach a pig to sing. It doesn't work and it annoys the pig".

I'd rather adopt a solution which wastes less CPU time on my box, so instead
of teaching the pig to sing I'm simply blocking connections from the pig's
relays at the IP level. It's far more effective than being polite!

--
G. Stewart   --   gstewart@example.com
                  gstewart@example.com

GnuPG key  : BA3D01C6 (pgp.mit.edu)
Fingerprint: C3DF C686 6572 6E59 E3E4  0F40 2B9A 2218 BA3D 01C6
Seen in the classified ads:
NICE PARACHUTE: NEVER OPENED - USED ONCE