[tlug] rec

I have 2 sound (audio control ) cards:
1) Sound Blaster AudioPCI128
2) On-board VIA 82C686
I applied "Creative Ensoniq AudioPCI 97 (ES1371)" and "VIA 82C686 Audio
Codec" kernel drivers, respectively. Those are fine. Then I tried doing
"rec", but never succeeded to sample any sound/voice from a microphone. Will
you show me a correct command line as an instance, and/or advise me about
those controllers?

Using "lspci -v" under Linux, I have a sound card:

Multimedia audio controller: Ensoniq 5880 AudioPCI (rev 02)
subsystem: Ensoniq Creative Sound Blaster AudioPCI128

and the kernel was recompiled with Ensoniq AudioPCI 97 (ES1371). Then, both
"play file.au" and "workbone" with a CD-ROM work well. However, sampling
fails by means of "rec"; just noises can be heard when playing back.
According to the doc "es1371", it "does not support the ALaw/uLaw sample
formats". My question is whether or not it is impossible to record
sound/voice samples with them. If possible, would you show me a correct
command script by guess? Thank you.