Re: [tlug] Kanji & Google (Was: i18n)

Tony Laszlo wrote:
>> This may or may not be related, but I've noticed that google tends to
>> return chinese pages when the user inputs Japanese kanji, and vice versa.
>> Maybe google thinks that 字 is 字 is 字.

I use Google with Japanese keys several times a day, and rarely ever get
Chinese pages returned. I use a Javascript applet for this, and it
has the "hl=ja" parameter set, which seems to lock it into looking
at/for Japanese-only pages.

Here is the applet, if anyone is interested (it is the version that
works with Mozilla):

javascript:q=document.getSelection();for(i=0;i<frames.length;i++){q=frames[i].document.getSelection();if(q)break;}if(!q)void(q=prompt('Enter text to search using Google. You can also highlight a word on this web page before clicking Google Search.',''));if(q)location.href='http://www.google.com/search?client=googlet&hl=ja&ie='+document.characterSet+'&q='+escape(q)

Jim

--
Jim Breen  (j.breen@example.com  http://www.csse.monash.edu.au/~jwb/)
Computer Science & Software Engineering,                Tel: +61 3 9905 3298