Re: [tlug] Redhat 8.0

On Tue, Sep 24, 2002 at 02:27:47AM -0500, Scott Robbins wrote:

> If I'm not mistaken, the last version of RH was using gcc 2.95 and the
> new one will be using 3.2  This will increase the nightmare.  It's
> going on in Gentoo right now, and although some are successfully
> upgrading, it seems far less work to pack up your /etc and home and just
> reinstall.

RH 7.2 and 7.3 (and, I believe, all the previous 7.x releases) install
RH's patched, unofficial gcc, 2.96 - _this_ is the real nightmare.

(Well, "nightmare" here is indeed a bit of an exaggeration, as for
everyday's use it's not a great pain. I could even compile the Linux
kernel without trouble, though some would call it luck. But there are
some software packages that sistematically refuse to compile with 2.96,
e.g. MPlayer; gcc 3.x is usually OK for them).

Ciao
 David
--
 David Santinoli                    +   <santinoli@example.com>