Re: [tlug] Redhat 8.0

On Tue, Sep 24, 2002 at 02:33:36PM +0900, Nguyen Vu Hung wrote:
> On Tue, 24 Sep 2002, Jonathan Byrne wrote:
>

> > On 9/24/2002, "n" <yeehi@example.com> wrote:
> >

> > You'll need to do an upgrade install.  Debian will late you upgrade a
> > distro with just one command, thanks to the great Debian packaging system.
> > That doesn't work on straight RPM systems, and I don't know if it would
> > work on ones that use urpmi (such as Mandrake) or not.  I doubt it, but if
> > I'm wrong, somebody please speak up.
> >

> upgrading a rpm-based system is really a nightmare. Using up2date does not
> work smoothly and we will have to upgrade what we want one by one using
>
> rpm -U

If I'm not mistaken, the last version of RH was using gcc 2.95 and the
new one will be using 3.2  This will increase the nightmare.  It's
going on in Gentoo right now, and although some are successfully
upgrading, it seems far less work to pack up your /etc and home and just
reinstall.

--

Scott

PGP keyID EB3467D6
( 1B48 077D 66F6 9DB0 FDC2  A409 FA54 D575 EB34 67D6 )