Re: [tlug] PPPoE / Linksys BEFSR41

I do have a BEFSR41 router and use it at home to connect my computers
to the cable network.

At Tue, 24 Sep 2002 12:22:07 +0900,
Jonathan Byrne wrote:

> On 9/24/2002, "n" <yeehi@example.com> wrote:
>
> We usually use our names around here.  "n" doesn't cut it.
>
> >http://www.linksys.com/products/product.asp?grid=23&prid=20
>
> >Is this router PPPoE compliant?
>
> Quoted from the page you linked:
>
> "This unit requires an external Cable or DSL modem with an Ethernet RJ-45
> interface."
>
> In other words, no, it doesn't speak pppoe.  That page is also so filled
> with marketing hype it made me want to vomit.   Here's my favorite quote:

Yes, it does speak PPPoE. Remember that you need to use PPPoE
software to establish the connection even if you have the DSL modem.
This router does that part of the work.

> "This cutting-edge combination of router and switch technology eliminates
> the need to buy an additional hub or switch and serves your network as a
> completely dedicated, full duplex backbone."
>
> They should have a warning message on a page that contains such crap.  A
> DSL connection may be full duplex, but it's certainly neither dedicated nor
> a backbone.

I think they should state that the full-duplex backbone means LAN
connection.

> >WIth this b flets fibre optic connection what is the important thing in
> >getting as close to 100 Mbps as possible? Is there any way I can test
> it?
>
> The connection has a physical rate of 100 mbps.  It is not possible to push
> 100 megabits of data through the line.  Even if a single FTP site would
> feed you 100 mbps downloads, and even if there were no smaller links in
> between you and that site, TCP overhead would make 100 mbps impossible.  In
> the real world, you are not likely to utlilize anywhere near the full
> capacity of the line, which is kind of the point of having a 100 megabit
> line: get more bandwidth than you can ever use.  The fastest FTP transfer I
> have ever seen ran at 20 megabits per second, which was astonishing.  The
> second fastest one I've had was 10 megabitgs.

This router's WAN port is 10Mbps. So, it can be a bottleneck if you
have a really faster connection. I think there are lots of faster routers
available in Japan.

Takeshi