Re: [tlug] i-mode i18n

Jim Breen <jwb@example.com> wrote:

> >> From: Tony Laszlo <laszlo@example.com>
> >>
> >> If TRON is good enough for kitchen
> >> appliances and satellites, why not the
> >> keitai?
>
> TRON! I'd prefer Shit_JIS to going with TRON's anti-Unicode line.

Quote:

"Because native speakers of different languages and/or bilingual people
can inhabit the same city, the BTRON machine must be capable of handling
the character sets of all the languages of the world. Moreover,
character handling on the BTRON machine must faithfully reflect
character usage as it manifests itself in the culture of a particular
people, no matter how large or cumbersome that character set might be.
(Note: for this reason, Unicode is rejected for use in the TRON
Architecture.)" (Source: http://tronweb.super-nova.co.jp/btron.html)

WTF? Am I missing an important syllogism behind those lines? Do they
wait until Unicode manifests itself in the culture of a particular
people? $deity, orthodoxy always scares the shift out of me. :-)

Ulrich Plate