Re: [tlug] Hiroshima Linux Users Group, soon coming

On Wed, Aug 07, 2002 at 11:24:47AM -0400, Josh Glover wrote:
> I have been where you are, having founded WAMLUG, the William and Mary
> Linux User's Group, at my university. It is also modelled after

I'm one of the founders of TLUG (and the person that started
the "LINUX" conference our home page talks about).

> - Find a couple of people who are willing to help you out *before* you
> formally found the LUG. You will get *very* tired getting all of the
> pieces in place all by yourself.
> - Set up as much infrastructure as you can before the formal
> opening. Get the mailing lists, webpage, and so on set up and tested

I partially disagree.  I think the very informal founding of
TLUG was an asset.  We started only online and soon graduated
to meeting for lunch and then wandering over to different
members' apartments for an afternoon of showing what we could
do with Linux.  When we outgrew that, we started using company
conference rooms.  There was no pressure to come up with a
"presentation" for the early meetings but there was a LOT of
information interchange. An organic founding sets appropriate
expectations and also avoids alienating anyone that sees
something as being presented as fully formed but hollow.
As the group has grown to include people of more diverse
backgrounds, adding structure has been an (unfortunate :-)
necessity... but I don't think a new group need start that way.

> - Publicise, build a buzz. See if there exist any big players in the
> Linux game in Hiroshima. Talk to them.

That is the key.  Find people of similar interests and build.

--
Jim Tittsler                                         GPG: 0x01159DB6
Kanto Computer Calendar  http://www.OnJapan.net/calendar/