Re: [tlug] wither ipchains?

On Wed, Aug 07, 2002 at 11:52:25AM +0900, Brett Robson wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Anyone know the latest on ipchains? The official website says that iptables
> should be used in preference but nothing specifically on compatiblity with
> kernels.
>
> ipchains seems fine with RH7.1 (kernel 2.4.9) but complains bitterly with
> RH7.3 (kernel 2.4.18)
>
> ipchains: Incompatible with this kernel

The dumb question--did you recompile the kernel? Because, if I'm not
mistaken RH 7.3 is still using chains, rather than tables as their
default.

Aha--found it--go into Networking Options--I think you're going to have
to chose Netfilter, and then, down almost at the bottom of the
netfiltering options, there's an option for ipchains support

Can someone confirm or correct what I'm saying about RH 7.3--I don't
have a virgin install here to check, I've taken out chains and put in
tables.

> iptables doesn't look too hard but my ipchain script is 200 lines long and
> the last thing I want to do is work on it again.

Not that I blame you, but you might be able to do it all with some vi
search and replace thingies--at the end of the iptables howto, I believe
he gives the differences in syntax--it's things like changing input to
INPUT -y to --syn and the like.

HTH a bit, though not positive it will.

--
Scott from NY