Re: [tlug] Regarding intolerance

Pietro Zuco wrote:

> 3. Thanks to the person or people that help you.

Your suggestions were reasonable, but already covered in the FAQ, as
Baba-san and/or Ayako-san pointed out.

This one, however, I disagree with. If you want to just thank someone
for there help, take it off-list. I consider one-liners saying "I agree"
or "Thanks, Chris / Steve / Jonathon / Matt / Michael / Ayako"[1] to be
a waste of bandwidth.

The expection is a summary type response, such as:

"Your suggestion to 'mount -o ro,remount /' worked, Ayako! Thanks!"

This is good because when people are reading threads (especially in the
archives) to try to solve a problem of their own, an email such as the
one above can show them that the suggestion worked in at least one case.

Also, posts to tlug-admin saying, "Agreed" are acceptable, since that
list influences official policy, and such an email is considered a vote.

--Josh "stepping off my soapbox now" Glover[2]

[1] Of course, emails like this are extremely unlikely now that all of
these people save Ayako-san have left us. :(
[2] The email equivalent of pourin' out a fo'ty of Old E fo' my homeyz
thaz dead an' gone.

--
Josh Glover <jmglov@example.com>

Associate Systems Administrator