Re: [tlug] Regarding intolerance

Norman Diamond wrote:

>We are all newbies, just on different subjects.

As far as I can see. all this discussion about Newbies rather misses the
point. Turnbull, Byrne, and the others who left did so not because they
did not like to help, or have dialog with beginners. They left because
of the incredibly rude, unappreciative, and lazy attitude on the part of
certain people who they often tried so hard to help. TLUG, and lists
like it, are not simply machines where you insert a questioni, then out
pops an answer. If you are not going to show some respect to those who
are trying to teach you, and not make an effort to work on solutions by
yourself before lazily shooting out a query, the experts are certainly
not obliged to continue to answer you.

I have seen this sort of thing happen to lists a few times already. and
I have even unplugged a list or two in my own field for similar reasons:
Not because of a dislike for teaching beginners, but because so many of
the beginners began to treat me as if I was obligated to help them.

So if any of the above-mentioned people want to go and set up a more
strictly-run list, I would applaud it. I am no expert by any means, but
I am not going to waste my time downloading mail where people ask
questions about the Japanese educational system, or whatever. I don't
have the time to waste.

Chuck